Sunday, July 31, 2016

Weekend bonus: HCF

It has come to my notice that as I was writing about my motivation for learning how to code one slipped off my mind. A month ago, I have stumbled upon Halt and Catch Fire totally by chance (it was love at first sight). I have always known I had a nerdy nature, and with one episode, all the nerdiness was prompted to run through my veins and I started consuming them all; one after another.

Set in the early 1980s in Dallas, Halt and Catch Fire (apparently named after an early computer command for a restart) is a very engaging tv-series with a focus on the early days of computer industry.



Telling a fictional narrative on how an entrepreneur sought a role in the PC wars, Halt and Catch Fire employs a very Mad Men-like plot (yet far better with all the technical milestones and the ambiguity of 80s). Convinced by Joe (the mysterious but highly charming ex IBM worker), Gordon Clark (a dull engineer who has failed many times and projects a very depressive image) tries to reverse-engineer an IBM PC. With the participation of Cameron (a rebellious programming genius with a marginal nature) the battle starts.

I must confess the existence of so many technical things that I couldn't just comprehend but I believe to have fallen in love with the magical simplicity of coding and the sparkling enthusiasm it had meant.

Living in an age where we just consume without looking into further details, this story of Genesis thrilled me genuinely.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your own experience!